Lesson 3: Urbanization
Learning Targets and Language Objectives
As you watch the video Megacities Reflect the Growing Urbanization Trends listen for the causes and effects of this 21st century trend in urbanization.
Urbanization and the Future of Cities
Megacities Reflect Growing Urbanization
- Access and open the handout WGS_Urbanization in Latin America_Unit 4.
- Look at the graphic on page 1.
- Read the paragraphs on page 2 of the handout that discuss how urbanization and migration are affecting Mexico.
- Working in your regional groups, access multiple maps showing population distributions, physical features, and resource distribution of the assigned region. Two helpful websites are the World Bank and the CIA World Factbook.
- As part of your regional research summarize your findings by answering the following questions:
- What are the major urban areas in this region (largest cities)?
- What settlement patterns do you observe about the location of these major cities?
- What ESPN push/pull factors in this region cause people move to these urban areas?
- Once you have completed your research, create a poster that illustrates the answers to the above questions. Use PosterMyWall to create your poster. Download and open WGS_Poster My Wall Student Directions_Unit 4 for directions on how to create and upload your poster.
- Complete Exit Ticket Urbanization in the Hub.
- Revisit the learning target self-assessment.