Lesson 2B: Results of Big Business/Rise of Labor Unions
Learning Targets and Language Objectives
Factors of Production
Download THE RISE OF LABOR UNIONS.doc
Predic where you think each bulleted item would belong.
Complete Poll "Do we still need labor unions?" located on the right hand side of the page.
Go to the page titled "Labor Strikes."
Select ONE of the four videos to watch: Railroad strike, Haymarket Riot, Pullman Strike, Homestead Strike.
As you watch the video, think about the following questions:
Information concerning the rise of labor unions is also on this page. Follow along as the class discusses, filling in the rest of your organizer with important information to remember.
Download Labor Strikes.docx. You will work with a partner.
Select one of the following strikes:
- Haymarket Riot
- Homestead Strike
- What key people do you hope to interview?
- Five questions you want to ask for your story.
Use Three Levels of Questions_starter_stems.pdf to assist in posing questions, if necessary.
Collective Bargaining Simulation
Open Collective Bargaining Simulation.docx.
Your present union contract is about to expire. A new contract must be negotiated and agreed upon. Here are the terms of the last union contract:
- Wages: $10.00/hour on average
- Job Security: none
- Length of Contract: 2 years
1. Answer the following question as an assigment in the HUB.
- What was the main reason that the AFL union was successful while the other early unions were not?
2. Complete the Student Self-Assessment.
Extension/homework: Complete How Often Have U.S. Workers Been on Strike.docx.