Lesson 2: Population Growth and Trends
Learning Targets and Language Objectives
Watch the video 7 Billion and Counting.
As you watch the video listen for;
- Reasons why population began to increase at much faster rates in the last two centuries.
- Future population trends and predictions.
Population Growth embed code
- Please access and open the handout WGS_Cartograms and Population Pyramids_Unit 4 and the handout WGS_Three Levels of Questions Stems and Starters_Unit 4 (for future reference if you have not already saved this last document).
- Look at the picture on page 1 of the handout and discuss the answer to the question below the picture with a partner.
- Work with that same partner, interpret the cartogram and population pyramids and use the WGS_Three Levels of Questions Stems and Starters_Unit 4 handout to pose and answer one question from each level for the Cartogram and the Population Pyramids (six questions total).
- One of you, post those questions to the Discussion Board titled "Cartogram and Population Pyramid Questions"
- One of you, will respond to the questions of another group.
In your current groups of four, use the Problem-Solving strategy on the last page of the handout WGS_Cartograms and Population Pyramids_Unit 4 to suggest ways countries facing population explosions (mostly in East and South Asia and Africa) might attempt to solve the population explosion issues in their countries.
Revisit learning target self-assessment.