Lesson 2: Land and Water Forms on the Earth's Surface
Learning Targets and Language Objectives
View the photo from space of the Alps – the largest mountain range in Europe.
Question: How might a mountain range such as the Alps affect the lifestyle and movement of people living in or visiting Europe?
Signal: Please stand when you can finish this sentence.
Stem: A mountain range such as the Alps affect the lifestyle and movement of people living in or visiting Europe by....
Share: Share your response with a shoulder partner
Assess: Pairs will share ideas with the class.
Call on random pairs to share one way a landform such as the Alps affects lifestyle and movement in Europe.
Download, and save the Physical Map of Europe as a reference.
Use your Physical Map of Europe to respond (teachers see teaching guide for instructions).
- In your regional groups determine what the major land and water forms are in your region.
- Working as a group use maps and other online resources such as the Earth From Space website or Stratalogica to locate images of significant land and water forms in your assigned region.
- Your task is to create a short PowerPoint (5 – 6 slides) illustrating the major land and water forms in the region.
- Remember to label your photos, images, graphics, or maps to indicate which features you are including.
- The name for your project should be Physical Geography of ______ (Region Name). The first slide should have the Region Name and the names of the group members as a subtitle.
- When your presentation is complete go to and post it to the Major Land and Water Forms in Assigned Region-Discussion Board and include the name of the region in the title of your post.
- Your assignment is to view at least two posts and post a response in the post a response in the Major Land and Water Form in Assigned Region-Discussion Board . Respond to this question:
Use this stem to respond:
The physical geography of _________________affect the lifestyle and movement of the people in that region by....
Revisit the Learning Targets and complete the post-assessment, citing evidence in the last column.