Lesson 2: Factors Affecting Climate
Learning Targets and Language Objectives
Work with a partner, make a list words that describe the weather in Houston.
Use the Nystrom Desk Atlas to access climate maps and graphs about your assigned region.
- In your assigned groups
- Access climate maps, climographs, graphs, text, and other geographic information for your assigned region.
- Choose two cities or areas in your assigned region in different locations – perhaps one coastal and another inland or at a different latitude.
- Record the climate data for each city so that you can compare the two places. (create a chart to organize your notes)
- Decide which parts of the LACEMOPS acronym affect the data for that place. For instance, look at the latitude and elevation; think about continentality, and so on.
- Record your conclusions about the factors that affect the climate of your chosen locations.
- Complete the following sentence stems and post your responses in the class Factors that Affect the Climate of Assigned Region Discussion Board
- Use the city names and the region name as the title of the post. In the post begin with the names of the group members.
- ____ and ____ (name the cities) have similar climate and growing seasons because _________
- ____ and ____ are different because ____________.
Sources of data and maps are the Nystrom Desk Atlas online, the Interactive World Climate Map and Graphs, World Climographs, or the National Drought Mitigation Center.
Choose three of the factors that affect climate (LACEMOPS) and describe how that factor affects climate (precipitation or temperature). Post to the Exit Ticket - assignment.
Revisit the Learning Targets and complete the post-assessment, citing evidence in the last column.