Did the Constitution establish a just government?
Standards and Practices
GOV.7A Explain the importance of a written constitution.
GOV.7B Evaluate how the federal government serves the purposes set forth in the Preamble to the GOV.7D Evaluate constitutional provisions for limiting the role of government, including republicanism, checks and balances, federalism, separation of powers, popular sovereignty, and individual rights.
GOV.8E Explain how certain provisions of the U.S. Constitution provide for checks and balances among the three branches of government.
GOV.21A Analyze historical and contemporary political information by sequencing, categorizing, identifying cause-and-effect relationships, comparing, contrasting, finding the main idea, summarizing, making generalizations and predictions, and drawing inferences and conclusions.
GOV.21B Create written, visual, and/or nonlinguistic products on a contemporary government issue or topic using critical methods of inquiry.
GOV.22A Use social studies terminology correctly.
Based on what we have learned about the constitution, what grade would you give it? Open the link and complete the Constitution Report Card.
What principles of government define and/or shape the American Political System?
You will need to know:
Use the graphic organizer, All About the US Constitution, to guide your work and as an opportunity for me to check in and speak to you prior to beginning development of your comic strip. A variety of resources have been prepared including readings, videos, interactive constitution, and news site to answer the supporting question and complete the formative performance task. Use these resources to take notes based on the list, need to know, and complete the handout.
Featured Resources Tool Kit
- We the People: How does the Constitution Limit the Powers of Government
- Teacher's Guide: We the People: How does the Constitution Limit the Power of Government
- Everyday Life: How the Principles and Ideals Underlying American Democracy Promote Freedom
- Teacher's Guide: Everyday Life: How the Principles and Ideals Underlying American Democracy Promote Freedom
- Texas Studies: Government & Economy: The United States Constitution
- Teacher's Guide: Texas Studies: Government & Economy: The United States Constitution
- Colonial Williamsburg: The Balance of Power
- Principles of Government, Quizlet
- Principles of Government and the Constitution
- NEWSELA – news articles
- All About the US Constitution, Graphic Organizer
Formative Performance Task
Develop a collage to show which principles of government define and/or shape our political system and the effectiveness of each principle. Use current issues and events from the news. Include an image, headline, and a short description of how each principle is being reflected.
Tools to develop your collage:Post your collage in the Discussion Board: Unit 1 Collage. After, you will need to take time today or when you first arrive to class next time to reflect on your peers’ collages and our compelling question: Did the Constitution establish a just government? Reply to two of your peers ‘collages with your reflection.